Saturday, March 13, 2010

Paper Mache Creation

Many apologies for my lengthy hiatus from blogging. I've been quite busy with a variety of projects including this one:


It starts off with a large balloon covered in paper mache - paper strips generously coated with a goo of white glue and water.


After I have a few layers of newspaper, I add some layers of paper towel, and glue goo.


Now it's time to add some 3D features to my creation. I used expanding spray insulation (like they use for around pipes) to build up some cheeks, a chin and an ear.

Looks a little bulbous, but a bit more like a face and less like an egg. When it's dry the foam can be carved with a knife to refine the features a bit.


Time to add some more paper mache. Then paint and add a stocking cap.



Putting it together with the rest of the costume and we have: Bonhomme! Bonhomme is the snowman ambassador to the Quebec Winter Carnival. This Bonhomme was created for an elementary school winter carnival.


What a handsome fellow! Bonhomme and the Winter Queen were quite a hit. Seeing all the kids' happy faces made it worth all that work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.
Cheers, Maureen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails