Tuesday, October 13, 2009

12 Weeks of Christmas No. 2: Christmas Memories and Traditions

For the second week of Christmas, we are sharing Christmas memories and traditions.


A Tradition of Giving:

When I was in grade 5 (many, many years ago) our teacher gave the class a wonderful project. We 'adopted' a family that was experiencing financial hardship and provided a Christmas for them. We made crafts such as candles and wreaths and held a craft sale to raise money. We had a list of the childrens' ages. We chose students to pick out appropriate gifts. I believe the teachers made up a food basket for them. That Christmas I remember wondering how those children enjoyed their gifts. It really made a huge impression on me.

Each year I try to continue the tradition of giving. One year my husband and I built and furnished a dollhouse to donate to a toy drive. Every year our church puts up a tree with gift requests from various charities. We pick one or two and buy toys (or whatever was requested). Each year our family participates in Operation Christmas Child. We fill shoeboxes with items such as school supplies, toothbrushes and toiletries, small toys and hard candy. You can check online to find a drop-off location near you. The deadline is usually mid November. These boxes are shipped all over the world to needy children by Samaritan's Purse.

I'm sure there are many opportunities for giving in your community too!


A Tradition of Music

Even as a child, I enjoyed singing in choirs. In elementary school we performed in Christmas concerts and music festivals. In highschool I joined the church choir. Every fall we practiced music for Midnight Mass. This is my third year with our Diocesan Choir. There are over 50 members in the choir and music is absolutely gorgeous! Each year we have an advent concert. We take collections at the concerts and raise money for various charities. One year we raised enough money to finance quite a few eye surgeries at a hospital in South America. Unfortunately the weather always seems to be horrible for these concerts! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for this year!

I'm sure I'll have more chances to share my favourite traditions as we work through the 12 Weeks of Christmas. Others have been describing their Chritmas traditions at Red Writing's blog.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your tradition of giving! Operation Christmas Child is something I have participated in many times and it is great organization. I hope others will check it out.

    Wish I could hear your choir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tradition of giving is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful giving traditions! Thanks for sharing them with us!
    I sing in our choir (and work in the Music and Arts Ministry at my church), so I'm also the "mother of the choir." This year we are doing "Nine Lessons and Carols" which is a wonderful service.
    I pray your services are wonderful and the weather cooperates!
    Blessings,
    Jayne at mysongwithin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun getting to read about all the different memories & traditions of everyone. You definitely have the right spirit of Christmas. I once worked for a man who every Christmas took his family down to Tijuana Mexico to pass out blankets, shoes, clothes & toys to Mexico's poorest. They wanted their kids to appreciate what they had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those ideas and would also love to do the shoebox one. Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an important aspect of the Holidays. My Granddaughter goes to preschool by our house and I was excited to see they are starting that for her at the age of three. We are going to do a little shopping each week and stock up on things. The three year old class is making military boxes and I think it will be neat to start teaching her. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great list. Our family has adopted families in the past, one year it was my brothers (he doesn't know this), or we call human services in our county and ask, they always have families in need. Have a great holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we love to give and adopt a family also!!!!awesomeness

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love operation Christmas ! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes I still use the plum and silver. I have an accent wall in our family room that is a plum color so it looks good with that . I have a fiber optic angel so she really glistens in the silver ! I am loving this 12 weeks of christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your traditions! Things like that help us to keep others first!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.
Cheers, Maureen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails