Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Family Heirloom - Treadle Sewing Machine



Marie at Emma Calls Me Mama
is hosting an Heirloom Party! I'm a little late, but here is my 'show & tell'.

This Singer treadle sewing machine belonged to my husband's grandmother. We think it was purchased around the 1920-30's. We were able to restore it to working order by replacing the leather belt that connects the treadle and the machine. You are still able to buy replacement parts for this type of machine because treadle sewing machines are still used in parts of the world where electricity is unreliable.







She's showing her age (aren't we all?) but she has earned her retirement. She was used to sew everything from wedding dresses to baby clothes. Someday I'd like to sew a quilt on her.



2 comments:

  1. OH you have a great machine!!! I would just love to have one of these (I don't sew I just think they are great!!) Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog to visit!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again! Thanks for visiting! All you have to do is find the followers box on the side bar and click follow! Or at the top of the page you can click on follow blog. It will walk you through from there! I'll look out for you so I can add your name in again!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.
Cheers, Maureen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails